Monday, March 25, 2019

Frugal Accomplishments 4th Week of March

This past week was once again about using what we have and trying to save where we could.  We were glad to find out that the fix to the car was about $30, not a few hundred like we were anticipating.  I'm grateful to have a mechanic that we can walk from, so I can drop the car off and then little man and I walk to school from there.  It was some good free exercise and mean little logistical issues.

On the down side, we were kind of blind sided with a hefty medical bill.  I had a test done back in February that ended up being way more than anticipated.  We're working through things to try to come up with creative ways to pay that down asap.


  • All meals were made at home including:  smoothies, salads, pork loin and potatoes in the crock pot, roasted veggies, and breakfast for dinner.  
  • Grateful for shared meals with friends and at our Children's Council groups.  I came home with enough leftovers from our yoga class for at least three extra meals.
  • We volunteered for the food pantry pick up at a local grocery store, so we came home with several things including organic yogurt, nondairy milk, fruit, veggies, etc.
  • Because we serve on the Wesley Foundation board, the campus minister generously invited us to the board retreat and allowed us to bring the boys.  So, while Benny was in meetings and planning sessions, I got to play with the boys at the conference center and took them to a local science museum that we have a gift membership to.  The boys had a great time and it was a nice break.  We were grateful for the meals and a little overnight time away.
  • We continued with our regular hanging of laundry to dry, except sheets.  We had a few extra loads of sheets because of some nighttime accidents, but that's just par for the course right now.
  • I worked out by walking the track at the school that's not far from our house, as well as YouTube videos at home.  It was nice to be able to get outside and walk some with the weather warming.
  • I worked another hour or so on lesson plans for the local art and history museum I'm consulting for.  I'm hoping to finish that work soon so that I can be paid for that work soon.
  • We explored an offer from BB&T to open a new account with them for a $200 bonus.  It looks legitimate, so we'll probably do that this week.
  • Combined errands as much as possible.  This saves on gas and allowed us to also be intentional about spending.
  • I began completing the paperwork to file for a $100 health credit with one of the insurance policies we have.  It looks like I'll have to get my doctor to complete part of the form, but it shouldn't take too long to get that credit back.
  • We found a few more things we can sell on eBay to make a little extra money, which should help pay down the medical bills.  We had a little time to chat last night after the boys were in bed and made a goal of posting at least three new items on eBay each week, which should be do-able.
  • I looked through the seeds I'd saved in the freezer from previous years.  I plan to start a few things in pots soon, because we can give them a little protection under the carport.  I'm hoping to begin some greens and maybe herbs.
  • Our regular recycling and composting efforts continue.
  • I looked over a few of my threadUp emails (referral link).  There were a few tempting things, but to keep our budget, I didn't order anything.  If I earn some more credit with them, I might use the credit to buy a new summer tunic or dress, but it's just a want, so not really necessary.
  • After much debate, I decided to let my Mary Kay business lapse.  It's just not where my heart is anymore, and it was becoming difficult to even get enough orders to make the annual activity order reasonable.  I was spending more money than it was worth, so it's better for me to spend elsewhere and let it lapse.
What did you do to live and save green this week?  I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have Mary Kay products you can list on offerup, FB marketplace or letgo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we generally sell extra inventory via eBay, but I don't make as much that way as with parties. I also don't have as much time for parties, so it's just about weighing the time vs money thing.

    ReplyDelete