Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Update on 2018 Goals

Here's a February recap of the goals we had for the year.  We're making some progress!

More Veggies:  I've been working actively to increase veggies with every meal.  The boys are getting much better about eating them at dinner and love them roasted with something to dip them in (usually ketchup).  Little man has requested asparagus the past few nights, so that 's been good.  I know I feel better for eating this way, and am hopeful that it will improve the overall health of my family too.

Move More:  This has very much been a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing.  I've been doing great with the free yoga class I've been attending, walking more during the day and week, and some exercise in the evenings.  I'm finding that if I do too much in the evenings, it's hard for me to go to sleep at night.  So, while I know it's ideal to work out in the mornings, it's not practical for me when I have boys who wake up at 5:00.  So, work in progress...

Try 26 new recipes:  I haven't tried anything new this week.  I've been relying on my good ol' reliable recipes (more accurately methods) for roasting veggies, making gluten free pasta dishes, beans and rice, etc.  I do have my eye on a chicken and acorn squash crock pot meal I want to try next week.

Spruce up:  This has kind of been on hold while we wait for our finances to sure up some.  We depleted our emergency fund some with medical expenses, so we'd like to not spend too much until we get that built back up.  We're working to get things done inexpensively, but quality workmanship, and we're ok with doing some of the work ourselves.

Clean out!  I continue to weed out.  We have several baby items we can sell, and many more things we can donate.  We're also looking through things to see what we can eBay to help clean out and build the emergency fund.

Build up the emergency fund:  I've been trying to keep our grocery budget low, but the new diet is tough to keep it at the $100-$150/month we usually aim for.  Once the CSA starts, this will be easier.  Gleaning from the food pantry is helping also.  We're looking forward to our tax refund, which will help to build this back up too.

Build a new house!  Some things are shifting in our POA and making our decision easier to move ahead with building a new house.  We just have to secure the land, which shouldn't be too difficult.  We'll have to do this carefully and economically in order to make the finances work out, but I think it will be a good move in the long run.  I'm looking forward to the possibilities of a new garden space, and to being more intentional about the design of our rental spaces.

How are you doing with your goals for the year?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment