Friday, February 23, 2018

Frugal Accomplishments February 12-18

This past week has been sort of a roller coaster for us.

Little one and I have both been to the doctor's office, he ended up having a chest x-ray.  The nasal swab came back as just a cold for him, so we're hoping he'll kick it soon.  I am hopeful that with my dietary changes, limiting sweets/carbs for him, and supplementing him with frozen breast milk and probiotics that we'll both get better.  I've met with my doctor and we're going to try a new antifungal for me to try to clear up things, as well as adding some new probiotic strains for me.

On the up side, we were able to have a date night on Saturday night thanks to my mom keeping little man.  We had dinner at home of homemade mini meatloaves, roasted asparagus and cauliflower, and crock pot coconut lime rice pudding for dessert.  It was a nice evening for us, even if I did fall asleep on the couch during our date show!

Here are the rest of our frugal accomplishments for the week:

  • All meals were made at home.  This includes split pea soup, mini meatloaves, roasted veggies, smoothies, salads, homemade pizza, biscuits, and steamed fish and veggies.
  • Enjoyed two shared meals with my mom including a lunch out at Panera and a homemade coconut shrimp curry.  There was enough curry leftover for me to have lunch one day too.
  • Appreciated gleaning from the food pantry:
    • salad greens and collards
    • yogurt
    • bananas
    • root veggies
    • butternut squash
    • mushrooms
    • blueberries (which were gone within 4 hours!)
    • juices for smoothies
    • dips for veggies
  • Enjoyed at date night at home, thanks to Mom.  She kept little man overnight and we had mini meatloaves and roasted veggies.  The crock pot coconut lime pudding was great for dessert, and totally fit with my diet.  It was a nice time to reconnect with each other.
  • Began looking through things from my grandmother's house to consider what we might like in the way of furniture, jewelry, kitchen things, etc.  It's sort of bittersweet, but I know she'd love the fact that we're all going to enjoy things that were hers and have special memories for us.  This will save us some money because some of these things will replace things of ours that we'd otherwise have to purchase replacements for, especially kitchen items.
  • Appreciated some Valentine's Day treats from my students.  Most were larger molded chocolate things, so I'll save these to chop for baking.  One student brought me a chai tea latte, because they know it's my favorite.  This was a really thoughtful  treat and a complete surprise.  It's nice when they pay such close attention to small things, in the same way I try to do for them.
  • Made cinnamon buns from a can and sprinkled them with red and pink sugar for Valentine's Day breakfast.
  • Used existing things to help little man make valentines for his classmates.  He enjoyed the activity, and it was a good chance for him to practice writing his name.  His classmates loved the cards and pencils he gave them.
  • Have been using Valentine's Day treats as rewards for little man's sticker chart.  This has been making our mornings go much more smoothly, and has allowed us to meter out the candy a bit.
  • Enjoyed a Saturday at the Playhouse with the boys.  It was nice to go back, since we hadn't been in a while (avoiding it since we'd been sick).  It was great fun for the boys, and some good parent support too.
  • Took advantage of the free yoga class at the Children's Council again.  It's such a nice program, and really gives me some time to center myself.
  • Finished reading a book we picked up from a free little library.  It was a fun mystery by Lillian Jackson Braun, but is one that I'll likely return or donate somewhere since it isn't one I feel like I would reread if I had it in my personal library.  Also enjoyed rereading some devotional material we had in our library at home.
  • Little one has been doing really well with his speech sessions, which we started a few weeks ago.  While they're not cheap ($40 each session at one session per week), we feel like the investment is worth it to hopefully help him out in the long run.  
  • Hung some laundry outside to dry since the weather's been unseasonably warm.
  • Continued with all usual laundry habits--cold water, hang dry, use cloth diapers.
  • Continued with all usual waste habits--composting (including cotton balls and brown cardboard tubes, recycling, reusing brown paper for draining bacon, etc.
  • Saved veggie scraps for stock and to take to the chickens.  Had about 18 eggs this past week for our efforts with the chickens, which has made for a really nice arrangement with friends (and the boys love it, and teaches them some responsibility too).
What did you do to live and save green this past week?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment