Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Frugal Accomplishments for April Weeks 1-2

We've been working really hard the past few weeks to clean out more at home in preparation for selling the house.  We've taken a lot to Goodwill and the library for donation, sold a few more things online, and packed up quite a few boxes for my mom's basement.  It feels really good to have this much cleaned out, but we've got a ways to go too.

Eating more healthfully has been challenging with my kidney issues, but I'm slowly learning what seems to trigger things and what's ok.  I've been doing a pretty good job of eating my nine cups of veggies a day (a smoothie helps a lot with at least 2-3), but eating this much produce is certainly expanding our grocery budget.  Especially since I'm trying to do more organic to lessen the toxin load on my kidneys.  But, it's good for our health, so we'll continue on this route.  The dietary changes also really seem to be helping baby with his gut issues, so I think much of this will become our new normal.  I kind of miss baking, but it does simplify our life a bit to not do it as much.

Here's what we've done to save a bit over the past week:

  • Used boxes from the paint store for packing, saving on cost there.  Used tape we had around instead of purchasing.
  • Cooked all meals at home, trying to make use of what we had in the freezer, including:  veggie stir fry, black beans and rice, roasted veggies with salmon and brown rice, paleo pancakes and berries, eggs with sauteed greens, homemade pizza, and split pea soup and salad.
  • Repaired a shelf on our own with a part from Lowe's.
  • Exercised at home by walking or working out with YouTube videos.  Enjoyed free yoga class again, which included dinner and child care.
  • Washed clothes in cold water with ecofriendly detergent and essential oils.  Hung clothes to dry.
  • Trying to lessen our toxin load, so I switched deodorants to a natural one (Benny was already using one) made with baking soda and coconut oil, began washing my face with an organic soap, began oil pulling with coconut oil in the mornings, and continued cleaning with our baking soda, borax, and citrus powder mix.  All these are fairly inexpensive and should have a positive impact on our health.  I've also researched some detox baths and compresses that should help too.
  • Used a few herbs from the garden in smoothies, for tea, and cooking:  mint, lemon balm, chives.
  • Enjoyed fresh eggs from our friends' chickens we care for a few days a week.  These make wonderful breakfasts, lunch additions, or salad toppings, and are much more nutritious than grocery store eggs.
  • Made fermented carrot sticks, which the boys really enjoyed.  I will make these again, since it was such a hit and a good way to get some probiotics in them besides yogurt cultures.
  • Began journaling again, which I've needed to do for a while.  I found an old journal that I hadn't used many pages in, so I'll use that for now.  Once I finish that, I'll see if I can find another one inexpensively, or maybe with Barnes and Noble gift card money.  This is a great stress relief, and a wonderful way to be able to look back and reflect on things.
  • Went to a community wide event, Buildfest, which is put on by the local children's museum.  It was free and a great time for the boys.  A local dentist was there, so we also came away with some free toothbrushes, toothpaste, and dental floss.
  • Benny and I began researching and discussing windows for the new house.  We've found that fiberglass is more environmentally friendly than vinyl, and will be more stable.  By carefully choosing where we want single-hung vs. double hung windows, we should be able to make up some of the increased expense.
  • The realtor came to check out the improvements we've made.  She said things look good, so we should be able to list the house within the next week or two.  We really have some packing and cleaning to do between now and then, but it is looking great!  Kind of wonder why we didn't tackle some of these improvements before now.
What did you do to live and save green this past week?  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment